Russia calls on US to investigate children's rights abuses
- Children's Rights Ombudsman reports violence against Russian child
- No more Russian adoptees to US – Kremlin ombudsman
- Lower house bans single foreigners from adopting Russian children
- Government approves the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation Convention
- Putin signs law on banning US adoptions of Russian kids
MOSCOW, September 19 (RAPSI) - Russia demands prosecution for people responsible for abusing rights of adopted children from Russia, conduct a thorough investigation and hand the information on such incidents over to Russian authorities, reads the statement published on Russian Foreign Ministry's website on Thursday.
"Russia brings attention to the fact that at least 26 children were used by an illegal enterprise that circumvented the American adoption authorities and gave those Russian children to people who were not their biological or adoptive parents. This becomes more alarming after Reuters messages that some of these children became the victims of pedophiles that used them to produce pornography," - says Konstantin Dolgov, the Foreign Ministry's point man for human rights.
Earlier, Reuters published an investigative report that uncovered an illegal network operating in the US, dealing in trade of underage children. The Russian Foreign Ministry reports quoting Reuters, that surveillance of closed groups in social networks shown that hundreds of biological and adoptive parents offered their children up for sale.