Female DNA on Politkovskaya murder weapon insufficient
- Former police officer charged with murdering journalist Politkovskaya
- Police delivers criminal to Moscow for Politkovskaya murder investigation
- Investigators to file charges in Politkovskaya murder
- Suspected mastermind behind Politkovskaya murder denies charges
- Former police Lt. Colonel brought to Moscow court for Politkovskaya murder case
- Court to issue arrest warrant in Politkovskaya murder
- Investigators have information on mastermind behind Politkovskaya murder
MOSCOW, January 26 - RAPSI. The Investigative Committee believes that the DNA on the gun that killed journalist Anna Politkovskaya is too little evidence to draw conclusions about who was involved in the crime.
A source in the law enforcement authorities earlier told the Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI) that the DNA of a woman was discovered on the gun that killed Politkovskaya.
The evidence gives no grounds to investigators to make conclusions about the involvement of certain individuals in the crime, committee spokesperson Vladimir Markin said.
He added that several genetic examinations have already been held.
"In conclusion, there was a hint that the material could belong to a female. And this suggestion was made by an expert institution. The investigators will hold an additional examination," he said.
Additionally, Markin said investigators tracked the history of the gun since 2004.
"During this time, many people held it in their hands before it reached the killer. And, naturally, this DNA could belong to any person who touched the weapon," he said.
Politkovskaya, who was well-known for her investigative journalism on human rights offenses in Chechnya, was killed in Moscow on October 7, 2006. Investigators believe her journalistic activities prompted her murder.
Five people are considered suspects in the case - Dmitry Pavlyuchenkov, a former police officer charged with organizing the crime, former police officer Sergei Kadzhikurbanov, and the Makhmudov brothers. Rustam Makhmudov is accused of committing the crime.