Court extends detention of Politkovskaya's alleged murderer
- Investigators to file charges in Politkovskaya murder
- Suspected mastermind behind Politkovskaya murder denies charges
- Former police Lt. Colonel brought to Moscow court for Politkovskaya murder case
- Court to issue arrest warrant in Politkovskaya murder
- Investigators have information on mastermind behind Politkovskaya murder
MOSCOW, August 29 - RAPSI. The Moscow City Court has extended the detention of Rustan Makhmudov, who has been charged with the murder of journalist Anna Politkovskaya, until September 7, Makhmudovs attorney Daria Trenina told the Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI).
According to Investigative Committee spokesperson Vladimir Markin, Makhmudov also committed a number of other crimes in the mid-1990s in Moscow, including abduction and extortion under threat of murder.
Politkovskaya, well-known for her investigative journalism on human rights offenses in Chechnya, was killed in the elevator of her building on Lesnaya Street in Moscow, on October 7, 2006. Investigators believe her journalistic activities prompted her murder.