MOSCOW, December 25 – RAPSI. Investigation into the Kirovles case that anti-corruption and opposition activist Alexei Navalny is accused in has entered the final stage and will soon be submitted to court, Vladimir Markin, the Investigative Committee’s official spokesperson, said.
“The investigation is in its final stage. After all the investigative and procedural actions have been carried out, the case will be submitted to court,” Markin said.
The high-profile Kirovles logging company embezzlement case was initiated in 2011. Investigators believe that Navalny, who at the time served as an adviser to the Kirov Region Governor, plotted the embezzlement of Kirovles' property.
It is claimed that over 10,000 cubic meters of Kirovles timber products were embezzled from May to September 2009, leading to regional budgetary losses of 16 million rubles ($496,820).
Vyacheslav Opalyov, Kirovles CEO and one of the defendants in the case, was acquitted on Monday.
Meanwhile, a second case against Navalny was initiated earlier in December. He and his brother are charged with embezzling over 55 million rubles ($1.7 million) from a trade firm.