MOSCOW, December 13 - RAPSI. A Moscow district court has refused to collect $95,500 from former YUKOS oil company's CEO Mikhail Khodorkovsky and former Menatep bank chief Platon Lebedev claimed by a bank's shareholder, the court's press secretary told the Russian Legal Information agency (RAPSI/rapsinews.com).
The claim was filed by Menatep shareholder Yury Saprykin. He said Khodorkovsky and Lebedev have caused him a substantial loss, estimated by the claimant at 3.1 million rubles ($95,500).
"The court has dismissed the claim as Saprykin failed to attend the hearings, although he was duly notified, or to present any valid reason for his non-attendance," said the press secretary.
In late 2010, a Moscow district court sentenced Khodorkovsky and Lebedev to 14 years in prison for stealing 200 million tonnes of oil and money laundering.
They were expected to be released in 2017, taking into account the time they had already served of their eight-year sentences from their first trial in 2005. However, on May 24, the Moscow City Court reduced their sentences by one year. Now they may be released in 2016.
Khodorkovsky is now serving his sentence in Segezh, Karelia, and Lebedev - in Volsk, Arkhangeslk Region. Lebedev has been denied parole. Khodorkovsky's parole petition has yet to be considered.
In addition their defense attorneys have filed petitions to reverse their judgment of guilty and close their criminal cases for the absence of a criminal act.