European Parliament to hold videoconference with Snowden- source
- Spain launches preliminary NSA surveillance probe – report
- German lawmakers want Snowden to testify on NSA scandal - report
- NSA monitored phone conversations of 35 world leaders – report
- Unveiled NSA surveillance ruling offers glimpse into US legal rationale
- French prosecutors probe US surveillance scandal – report
BRUSSELS, December 6 (RAPSI) – The European Parliament is planning to hold video conference with fugitive NSA analyst Edward Snowden, concerning the US spying on European citizens, a source in the Assembly told RIA Novosti on Friday.
Citing secret US National Security Association (NSA) documents, the German magazine Der Spiegel reported in November that the NSA had carried out surveillance on chancellor Angela Merkel’s mobile phone for more than 10 years, and that her cell phone number had been on a special list of an NSA unit known as the Special Collection Service (SCS), since 2002.
The report was based on documents leaked by Snowden, who formerly served as an NSA contractor and an employee of the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). The young whistleblower attracted international attention over the summer after he leaked classified evidence of US government surveillance programs to the media.