Convicted March 26 rally participant Krepkin goes to ECHR
MOSCOW, June 8 (RAPSI) - Dmitry Krepkin, a convicted participant of the unauthorized rally held in Moscow on March 26, 2017, has filed a complaint with the European Court of Human Rights, his attorney Ilnur Sharapov has told RAPSI.
Krepkin, who had been sentenced to 1.5 years in prison for assaulting a police officer during the rally, in his application accused Russian authorities of violation of Article 3 (Prohibition of tortures), Article 6 (Right to a fair trial) and Article 11 (Freedom of assembly and association) of the European Convention on Human Rights.
On December 8, 2017, Krepkin was found guilty of assaulting a police officer at the rally and sentenced to 1.5 years in a penal colony. In March, the Moscow City Court upheld the sentence.
Earlier, several other men, Andrey Kosykh, Yury Kuliy, Alexander Shpakov and Stanislav Zimovets, and Aleksey Politikov have been convicted and sentenced for violence against law enforcement officers during the rally. Kosykh was sentenced to 4 years in prison, but later his term was reduced by 4 months. Kuliy has been given 8 months in a penal colony settlement. Shpakov received a 1.5-year prison sentence. Zimovets has been sentenced to 2.5 years in prison. A 2-year prison sentence given to Politikov has not taken effect yet.
The Interior Ministry reported that about 500 people had been arrested during the unauthorized rally on March 26. Overall number of people present in the area at the time was estimated at as high as 8,000 people. One of the police officers received injuries; a criminal case was launched over this incident.
According to the Russian opposition politician Alexey Navalny, arrested during the rally, Moscow authorities refused to greenlight the rally in the city’s center and proposed alternative areas only a day before it was to take place.
Navalny said that in this case Russian legislation allows organizers to hold an event at the area, which was listed first.