Рейтинг@Mail.ru
RusEng

News

Tajik court confiscates plant owned by Ukrainian gas mogul Firtash

12:15 03/04/2014

DUSHANBE, April 3 (RAPSI) – The Economic Court of Dushanbe, Tajikistan, decided on Wednesday to nullify the privatization of Guliston, a company whose main shareholder is Ukrainian businessman Dmitry Firtash, attorney Ishoq Tabarov said.

“Firtash owns 95% of the company and the remaining 5% belongs to Khairullo, the son of Zayd Saidov,” Tabarov said.

In February 2014, Zayd Saidov, the ex-Industry Minister and the leader of the unregistered New Tajikistan party, was sentenced to 26 years in prison on five charges, including financial fraud, and his property was seized. Zayd Saidov has also been prohibited from doing business for five years after his release.

Guliston, which produces Winguardia cotton and denim clothes, mostly for export, was confiscated under a motion filed by the Tajik Financial Control and Corruption Agency, which argued that Guliston, formerly a sewing factory, was privatized in violation of the law.

Firtash, 48, who amassed his fortune in Russia’s transit gas trade, was arrested in central Vienna on March 12 based on an FBI warrant. According to the bureau, an investigation on Firtash began in 2006 and resulted in bribery and organized crime charges. An arrest warrant was subsequently issued.

A Vienna court announced in March that the EUR 125 million ($174 million) bail for Firtash had been received, but that federal money laundering authorities had frozen the funds to investigate the source.

Share thisE-mail this articlesubmit newsAdd to blogrss feed
Add to blog
To link to this material, copy the code to your blog.
Publishing code:
Preview:

Tajik court confiscates plant owned by Ukrainian gas mogul Firtash

12:15 03/04/2014 The Economic Court of Dushanbe, Tajikistan, decided on Wednesday to nullify the privatization of Guliston, a company whose main shareholder is Ukrainian businessman Dmitry Firtash, attorney Ishoq Tabarov said.
Forward news story

All fields are mandatory!

Submit news

All fields are mandatory!

Share this

Top news