Mirax Group fraud case transferred to investigators
MOSCOW, November 28 - RAPSI. The criminal case on fraud concerning Mirax Group employees is being investigated by the Interior Ministry's Investigative Department, the ministry's media representative told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
He did not specify the reason why the case was transferred. A source in RIA Novosti said that usually cases are transferred to the department from regional investigative agencies if they involve major financial damage, a large number of victims and interregional crimes.
Previously, the Interior Ministry reported that it had launched a case on fraud with regard to several unidentified individuals at Mirax Group. Investigators reported that in 2007-2008 they initiated the signing of preliminary contracts on the purchase of apartments at the Kutuzov Mile residential quarter, which did not correspond to approved project documentation.
The contracts were allegedly concluded between customers and one of Mirax Group's companies, which was a co-investor in an investment contract between the Moscow government and the developer. After receiving about six billion rubles ($194 million) from citizens, the company froze the construction of the residential quarter. The company's management then took steps towards premeditated bankruptcy and liquidation.
The Mirax Group was founded in 1994. The total area of the company's development projects amounts to 12 million square meters, including 825,000 square meters of completed development. Its projects include the Mirax Plaza business centers, Poklonnaya 11 and Admiral, the Federation complex in the Moscow-City International Business Center, Well House, Mirax Park and many others.