Ex-prosecutor investigated in gambling case appeals to court
MOSCOW, October 10 - RAPSI. A former Moscow regional prosecutor charged with abuse of power in the notorious gambling case has filed an appeal with a district court, the court told the Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI).
"Vladimir Glebov's attorney lodged the appeal," the court said without specifying its subject matter.
Earlier, the attorney told RAPSI that investigators had completed their work in Glebov's case and forwarded the bill of indictment to the Prosecutor General's Office for approval. Later, he learned that the prosecutors had discovered several mistakes in the documents and returned them to the investigators for adjustment.
Glebov was earlier in custody on charges of bribe-taking. After he partially admitted his guilt, the charges were changed to "abuse of power" as a less serious offense.
Glebov was released on his own recognizance.
Uncovered several months ago, the high-profile illegal casino scandal in the Moscow region incited a public uproar.
Businessman Ivan Nazarov allegedly operated illegal casinos in 15 towns.
According to law enforcement authorities, several high-ranking officials of prosecutor's offices and the federal Interior Ministry were involved in the casino operation, which generated between $5 million and $10 million in revenue monthly.